One Square Inch of Skin
saw this once and thought it was a really interesting piece of information… I hope you do too!
What is contained in one square inch of skin (or 2.54 square centimetres of skin)?
Here are the complex structures of the skin contained in that one area…
- 65 hairs
- 9,500,000 cells
- 95 to 100 sebaceous (oil) glands
- 17 metres of blood vessels
- 650 sweat glands
- 70 metres of nerves
- 78 sensory apparatuses for heat
- 19,500 sensory cells at the ends of nerve fibres
- 1,300 nerve endings to record pain
- 160 to 165 pressure apparatuses for the perception of tactile stimuli
- 13 sensory apparatuses for cold